Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Life Journal 04-27-2010

A Life Well Lived

(S) Scripture

Psalm 142:7

Set me free from my prison,
that I may praise your name.
Then the righteous will gather about me
because of your goodness to me.

(O) Observation

The psalmist is praying. David is in a cave and asks for God's help and protection.

(A) Application

I just received the news of J.D. Johnson's death earlier this morning. J.D. was 92 and lost his battle with cancer. In these months since his diagnosis J.D. showed us all how to live by showing us how to die. Until about a month ago he went every day to the wellness center for excersize and conversation with his friends there. Although his body weakened his spirit was strong. J.D. loved Jesus and lived his life in a way that honored his God. His mind was sharp and his wisdom was something I sought out often. He was a "young" thinker. He was not afraid of change and only wanted what would point more people to Jesus.

As I read this scripture this morning I thought of J.D.. His prison was his diseased body. Today he is cancer free and enjoying his home in heaven, reunited with the love of his life, Sybil, and in the presence of the Lord. In the days ahead we will gather around his casket and thank God for for allowing John to touch our lives. It was through God's goodness that I called John my friend. I will sorely miss J.D. but rejoice that he is with the Lord.

His faithfulness in life and death are lessons in faith we can all learn from.

(P) Prayer

Father, thank you for allowing me to have a friend like J.D.. I thank you for his influence in my life. Let me influence others the way he influenced me. Amen

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

He will be dearly missed by all who knew him. Quite a man! Thank you for your pastoral ministry to the friends and family. Your compassion showed through. "Bud"

Anonymous said...

Sadly and yet joyfully your insightful words are not only true of our brother JD but now our brother Jack Pruden as well. Thank you for the care and love you provide. Bud