Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Life Journal 09-02-2009

The Gospel is for Everyone

(S) Scripture
After this I looked and there before me was a great multitude that no one could count, from every nation, tribe, people and language, standing before the throne and in front of the Lamb. They were wearing white robes and were holding palm branches in their hands.
Revelation 7:9 (NIV)

(O) Observation
In John's vision he first sees the 144,000 from the tribes of Israel then he sees people "from every nation, tribe, people and language, standing before the throne and in front of the Lamb." God's plan included faithful people regardless of their heritage.

(A) Application
The Good News of Jesus has always been for everyone. It was never the exclusive right of the Jews but has always been for faithful people everywhere. We did not somehow sneak in under the fence but rather have always been invited through the front door. The invitation has always been to everyone who would respond in faith. It is still that way. We would never say the Gospel is not for everyone but the way we live and share the Gospel reveals what we really believe. I am sure there will be people in heaven that I will be surprised to see and some will be surprised to see me. I must open my eyes to see people as God sees them. Each one in need of a Savior and each one loved by God. Why am I so reluctant to share God's love with people when he has lavished his love on me? I think I need to focus on this vision of John a little more intently. Every nation, tribe, people and language now that is the God I serve and want to serve more fully.

(P) Prayer
Father let me see people the way you see them. Open my mouth and let me share the Good News of Jesus with them. Amen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There's an uncanny parallel to yesterday's reading about "Jeruslem" and the "waving on the palms" in today's text. Whereas the first waving of the palms was inconsistent and came from a crowd ruled by emotions and wishes that were a part of the fickled Jerusalem, the new Jerusalem welcomes a celebratory gathering that is filled with authentic wonder, awe and praise. It makes me crave for such celebratory events everytime we gather as God's people around His throne. May we became lost in his magnificance and caught up in His glory....unlike the people on Palm Sunday who thought it was about them. What do you think? bud