Monday, September 14, 2009

New Testament Listening Day 1

(S) Scripture
Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.
Matthew 5:4 (NIV)

(O) Observation
At the beginning of the Sermon on the Mount we find what has been called "the Beatitudes". These are attitudes and behaviors that result in God's blessing.

Application
This particular one, on mourning, continues to challenge my life. D. Martyn Lloyd Jones in his Studies in the Sermon on the Mount says this means that we should allow what breaks God' s heart to break our heart. I am afraid that I am calloused and I do not see or maybe I ignore the needs in the people God brings across my path. This is not something that pleases God. How can I touch people with the gorace of God if I am calloused or simply ignore their needs? Today I want to see people as God sees them and then to act toward them the way God would have me to act.

(P) Prayer
Lord let me see with your eyes and act with your heart today. Amen

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder sometimes, "what breaks the heart of God?" Factured families....people in poverty...absue and racism...many of which are caused by our sin. Sometimes I think this verse serves as a good reminder that God, instead of acting in some sort of mad manner about our sin that creates pain...he actually cries over it. May we mourn with meaning. Amen! "Your Bud"

Anonymous said...

I come to this site and I find myself asking, "what happened to the pastor's blog?" Is he tired, burnt out and feeling exhausted like Jed Clampette's old hound dog?

Does the pastor think that noone cares to read his thoughts and insights? Does he not really know that the encouraging words often bring peace during dark nights?

So if he begins to write again, there are many who will be glad. In the meantime know that some are feeling just a little bit sad.

Your Buddy & Friend