Monday, October 26, 2009

Life Journal 10-26-2009

Proving My Repentance

(S) Scripture
First to those in Damascus, then to those in Jerusalem and in all Judea, and to the Gentiles also, I preached that they should repent and turn to God and prove their repentance by their deeds.
Acts 26:20 (NIV)

(O) Observation
In his defense before King Agrippa, Paul recounts his life before and after his encounter with Christ on the road to Damascus. He is being falsely accused by the Jews but has already appealed to Caesar. In his defense he explains the content of his preaching. In that explanation is this gem, "I preached that they should repent and turn to God and prove their repentance by their deeds." Each person is to prove their repentance by what they do.

(A) Application
This admonition is so simple it is profound. "Prove your repentance by your deeds." What a novel concept in our world. I know many who voice repentance but their deeds do not change. They voice a change of heart but it is not followed by appropriate actions. How often do we ask forgiveness for a sin and then keep right on repeating the same sin over and over. Forgiveness is God's part but changing my behavior is my part. I know that I cannot change apart from the power of the Holy Spirit working in me. I must give control of my life to the Holy Spirit and allow Him to guide my actions. My deeds must prove my repentance or maybe it wasn't really repentance at all. Maybe I was just trying to avoid consequences or outcomes of my behavior and thought I could get God to let me off the hook. Never happens. For repentance to be real and effective it must be seen (proved) by my change of deeds.

(P) Prayer
Lord help me to be authentic and honest when I pray. Help me to show the depth of my repentance by my changed life and actions. Amen

No comments: