Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Life Journal 10-27-2009

A Personal Note: During the past few months I had gotten away from blogging my daily devotion. It is easy to neglect this when life gets so busy and schedules get hectic. I want to thank "my Bud" for the gentle but pointed reminder that I have not blogged in a while. I did not realize how much I had missed this until I started again yesterday.

An Important Daily Prayer

(S) Scripture
"'Go to this people and say, "You will be ever hearing but never understanding; you will be ever seeing but never perceiving."
For this people's heart has become calloused; they hardly hear with their ears, and they have closed their eyes. Otherwise they might see with their eyes, hear with their ears, understand with their hearts and turn, and I would heal them.'
Acts 28:26-27 (NIV)

(O) Observation
Paul has reached Rome and is speaking to the Jewish Leaders there. As he teaches them about faith in Christ some believe and others do not. He uses a passage from Isaiah to explain their unbelief. In that explanation is the core of a prayer we should express daily. The passage is an indictment against them. It reveals their closed eyes, ears and hearts to the truth of God. How sad to miss what God has for you because of a stubborn spirit.

(A) Application
It is the indictment from Isaiah through Paul that should give us the core of a prayer to pray daily. I do not want to have my eyes, ears and heart closed to what God has for me. I do not want to miss God's healing touch in my life because of a closed spirit. In a DMin class the professor, John Guest, an Anglican Priest, suggested that we begin each Sunday message with this prayer on behalf of the people. "Lord open our eyes, ears and hearts so that we might clearly see, hear and understand what you have for us today. Give us the courage and will to act on the message we receive from you." I have used this prayer often since then with the congregation on Sunday. It has become a more important prayer for me to use each day as I invest this time in my daily devotion. "Lord, open my spiritual eyes, ears and heart so that I can see, hear and understand a clear word from you today. Energize my will with the courage to act on what you say to me." Today I am renewed.

(P) Prayer
Lord, open my spiritual eyes, ears and heart so that I can see, hear and understand a clear word from you today. Energize my will with the courage to act on what you say to me. Don't let me miss what you want to do in me today. Amen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

To use the words of the old television show about Mr. Kotter, Welcome back! You were missed! I didn't know you had John Guest as a prof...he's one of my all time favorites. The text is a powerful reminder that we can hear and not really hear; see and not really see. It's so easy to go through the motions, jump through the hoops and not allow ourselves to be ambushed, surprised, stunned, and more by the Spirit of the loving God. "The Bud"

PS Now if I remember "Welcome Back Kotter" you know I'm not a young dude!