Thursday, October 29, 2009

Life Journal 10-29-2009

Good Ground

(S) Scripture
Still other seed fell on good soil. It came up, grew and produced a crop, multiplying thirty, sixty, or even a hundred times."
Mark 4:8 (NIV)

Others, like seed sown on good soil, hear the word, accept it, and produce a crop--thirty, sixty or even a hundred times what was sown."
Mark 4:20 (NIV)

(O) Observation
Jesus is teaching and uses the parable of sowing seeds. He describes four types of ground that seed can fall on. Many did not understand what he meant and so he gave an explanation to his disciples. He encouraged them to be sure that their lives were "good ground." He wanted their lives to be productive for the sake of the gospel.

(A) Application
What does it take to be "good ground"? How can I be sure that my life is "good ground" in which God's word can grow and flourish and produce much fruit? I must continually be in fellowship with the Lord. I must not be harboring unconfessed sin in my life. I must be walking by faith in the power of the Holy Spirit. I need to be investing time in reading the Bible and prayer. I need to have conversations with other Christians that challenge me and hold me accountable for my spiritual growth. All these things and others are necessary for me to be sure that my life is fertile ground in which the seed of God's Word can grow and multiply.

(P) Prayer
Lord, break up the fallow ground in my heart so that the seed of your word can take root and grow and flourish in me. Help me to teach others to do the same. Amen

No comments: