Sunday, March 7, 2010

Life Journal 02-07-2010

Remember

(S) Scripture
Deuteronomy 6:20-25 (NIV)
20 In the future, when your son asks you, "What is the meaning of the stipulations, decrees and laws the LORD our God has commanded you?"
21 tell him: "We were slaves of Pharaoh in Egypt, but the LORD brought us out of Egypt with a mighty hand.
22 Before our eyes the LORD sent miraculous signs and wonders--great and terrible--upon Egypt and Pharaoh and his whole household.
23 But he brought us out from there to bring us in and give us the land that he promised on oath to our forefathers.
24 The LORD commanded us to obey all these decrees and to fear the LORD our God, so that we might always prosper and be kept alive, as is the case today.
25 And if we are careful to obey all this law before the LORD our God, as he has commanded us, that will be our righteousness."

(O) Observation
Moses has just recounted the release from slavery in Egypt, the receiving of the Commandments and the call to obedient living in the promised land. He then gives this instruction to the people. When asked the "why" of the law, give this answer and explanation. The Lord God delivered us and commands us to obey him so that we might live and prosper in the land. That obedience will be for us our righteousness.

(A) Application
Most of us have asked the "why" question concerning the law. I may not have been delivered from Egypt but my life was delivered from the slavery to sin and spiritual death. Obedience to the Lord God is what allows me to live life to its fullest and to enjoy a close relationship with the Lord. This obedience is by faith and allows me to walk by that same faith in the power of the Holy Spirit. God does not leave me on my own to live the life he sets before me but rather he has taken permanent residence in my life through the Holy Spirit. I obey God only by the strength the Holy Spirit gives me. I live for the Lord each day only by the power of the Holy Spirit in me. That is my righteousness, not from my own doing but by the Holy Spirit living in me. Today I renew my desire to be filed by the Holy Spirit and to walk by faith in Him.

(P) Prayer
Lord I thank you for placing your Spirit in me to empower me to be the person you want me to be. It is good to remember why we are to obey you. It has always be for our benefit. Today Let me live for you. Amen

No comments: