Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Life Journal 03-02-2010

From Jamaica Back to Reality

(S) Scripture
Mark 9:5-7 (NIV)
5 Peter said to Jesus, "Rabbi, it is good for us to be here. Let us put up three shelters--one for you, one for Moses and one for Elijah."
6 (He did not know what to say, they were so frightened.)
7 Then a cloud appeared and enveloped them, and a voice came from the cloud: "This is my Son, whom I love. Listen to him!"

(O) Observation
Jesus has taken Peter, James and John up on the mountain where he is transfigured. Elijah and Moses appear there with Jesus. Peter in his excitement says they need to build three tents and stay there. Then God says, especially to Peter, "This is my Son, whom I love. Listen to him!" Jesus then leads them down the mountain to do ministry in His name.

(A) Application
Mountaintop experiences always energize our spirits and most of us want to stay there. Growing up my mountaintop experiences came each summer at the West Virginia Baptist Camp at Cowen. My spiritual life would be nurtured and challenged and I would want to stay right there but had to come home after a week. The fervor of camp would fade over time but would be renewed each summer when I returned to camp. I am struck by the fact that Jesus knew what needed to be done and therefore moved Peter back down the mountain to a world that needed his witness. I have just returned from a mission trip to the Jamaica Deaf Village. This was my fifth year and each year I have the same experience. We work hard building concrete block buildings. This building is done by grunt labor, all by hand. We mix and pour the concrete by hand, no such thing as a cement truck. This year we mixed, wheelbarrowed and then lifted in buckets to the second story over five yards of concrete. The team accomplished all the tasks set out for us by the director of the Village and then completed some work left undone by a previous team. The evening devotions and the whole experience of doing work of God's kingdom is a spiritual high that you do not want to leave. Nearly every person on our team of 17 wanted to stay there. I am sure that the 80 degree weather there and the 15 inches of snow that fell on Charlotte had nothing to do with that desire. Truth is though, we need to come off that mountain and continue to do the ministry God has for us here in Charlotte. We cannot stay on the mountain because Jesus leads us to our ministries in the valley. We need to let the energy and excitement of the mountaintop experiences with Christ carry us into the ministries God has for us to do. Today I want to let the experience of last week energize me to do what God asks of me today.

(P) Prayer
Father, thank you for the spiritual renewal of last week. Let me now use that energy to do all that you set before me today. Let me be sensitive to the needs around me and to the opportunities you set before me today. Amen

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Scripture is filled with reminders to "come down" or "go back" to reality. Jesus had his baptism then encountered evil. The Hebrews crossed the Jordan and the fighting continued. The wise men saw the baby and returned to real life. It disturbs me that some Christians want to evaluate their progress of journey by "mountain top highs." They're wonderful when they happen but we must see them as the exception and not the rule. In fact, dare I suggest that if people need them, they may not have achieved "emotionally healthy spirituality." Agree??? "Bud" (EMS is a great read...read it??)

Robin said...

Well said. We really don't want the roller coaster path but rather one of a constant incline toward the Father. I think it was A. Judson who said on his tombstone he wanted "He was a plodder". That is the constant movement toward a closer walk whit Jesus.