Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Life Journal 02-16-2010

The Tithe

(S) Scripture
Leviticus 27:30 (NIV)
A tithe of everything from the land, whether grain from the soil or fruit from the trees, belongs to the LORD; it is holy to the LORD.

(O) Observation
As Moses is closing out the book of Leviticus the Lord instructs him to speak to the people about what to do with what is dedicated to God. There are some strict regulations concerning what is dedicated to the Lord. One of the final instructions concerns the tithe. It is a simple but powerful statement. The tithe belongs to the Lord and is holy to him. It is a clear statement.

(A) Application
The tithe seems to be a big issue with Christians today. I hear questions about whether it is on the "net" or "gross" income. People make all kinds of excuses about why they cannot tithe but that does not change the truth or teaching of scripture. The tithe is a tenth. In this chapter it was a tenth of everything from the land and every tenth sheep. Whatever the person had, a tenth was to be given to the Lord because it belongs to the Lord and is holy to the Lord. That may be the key to our disobedience. We still think that what we have is ours. Here we are taught that the tenth belongs to God not us. That is why Malachi states, "Will a man rob God?" (Mal 3:8) I wonder how different our attitude would be if we considered the tithe to be holy. Holy – set apart - for God's work and use. How can I use for my purposes that which God says is his and is set apart for him? Tithing comes with a promise of God's blessing. My personal testimony is that there were times early on in my life when I tithed and when I didn't. When I tithed I seemed to have enough to do what I needed to do. When I didn't tithe I seemed to always be scrambling for money. I cannot explain how nine tenths goes farther than ten tenths but it does. Maybe God makes be a better steward of the nine tenths. Becky and I have practiced tithing our entire married life. We are not wealthy but our lives are rich and our needs are met. My mom began teaching our daughters to tithe when they were preschoolers. She sent them $2.00 every week. One dollar to savings, 20 cents to the church and 80 cents to do with as they pleased. Over the years they practiced and learned to tithe. What a novel thought to teach them as children to be obedient and faithful to the Lord. Today I simply want to renew my commitment to recognizing the tithe of all I have as being holy to the Lord.

(P) Prayer
Lord, thank you for the blessing you bring to my life. Make me aware of when I am selfish or holding out on you. Let me be generous as you have been generous with me. Amen

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some will argue that the "tithe" isn't consistent with New Testament teachings. In a sense they are right. In fact, in the NT, the "tithe" is just the beginning point. We are called to move beyond the tithe and towards grace-filled generosity. So why don't more evangelicals tithe? The stats are discouraging for pastors and others. We won't tithe until we get to the heart of other issues first. Materialism...it won't satisfy. Contentment...it only comes in Christ. Greed...getting doesn't bring satisfaction. Self-identity...we won't give until we realize who we are isn't connected to what we have. Trust....our future is in God's hands. Other theological truths must provide the underpinning for learning to tithe. Hey....there's enough here for a sermon!:) Keep preaching giving and keep on giving. You're "spot on" as my British friends would say. "Bud"

Anonymous said...

Beat 'em into submission with the Law. That always works.