Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Life Journal 09-06-2011

When God Speaks

(S) Scripture
Ezekiel 30:20 (NASB77)
And it came about in the eleventh year, in the first month, on the seventh of the month, that the word of the LORD came to me saying,

(O) Observation
Over and over in the reading for today we find statements like the one I chose. Ezekiel marked the day and year when God spoke and gave him a message to deliver to the people. Sometimes Ezekiel just declares that "The word of the Lord came to me…" but here the prophet gives the year, month and day.

(A) Application
As I read the passage today I was struck with how many times Ezekiel marked the year, month, and day that God had spoken to him. Was it for Ezekiel or the people that the event was marked that way? I am always suspicious when people say, "God told me to…" I am even more suspicious when people say, "God told me to tell you to…" There have been times in my life though when it seemed that God had spoken out loud. Now I didn't hear any audible voices but God was clear in His message to me. It might be helpful in the future to mark those days. There is power that comes from looking back and with confidence knowing that God has worked in your life. When it is marked it simply makes it easier to reference. I want to mark those times in my life so that as I speak of God's work in our lives I can do so with confidence and power.

(P) Prayer
Father, I thank you for working in my life. I thank you for directing my life and allowing me to be called your child. Help me to mark with certainty your works in my life so that I might declare your word with confidence and power. Amen

No comments: