Thursday, January 6, 2011

Life Journal 01-06-11

Feet to the Fire

(S) Scripture
Luke 6:40 (NIV)
40 A student is not above his teacher, but everyone who is fully trained will be like his teacher.

(O) Observation
This statement comes in the middle of Jesus teaching about not judging or condemning others. He speaks about the peril of the blind leading the blind. Then he makes the statement in verse 40. It is a direct challenge to all who would teach. Followers become like their leaders, students like their teachers. It is an incredible responsibility.

(A) Application
This challenge and statement from Jesus is one that "keeps my feet to the fire." As a pastor/teacher the people I serve will become like me. Paul said, "imitate me as I imitate Christ" (1 Cor. 11:1). The closer I follow Jesus the more I become like Jesus. Here is the kicker, the more people listen and learn from me they become more like me. That is a sobering thought. Do I want people to be like me? When I observe my life with its flaws and weaknesses, do I want that replicated in the lives of others? Certainly not. But, If I am listening and following Jesus with my whole heart then that is something I want replicated in the lives of others. Today I will seek to radically follow Jesus without reservation. In so doing I can help other to do the same.

(P) Prayer
Lord, you know my faults, weaknesses and sins. Let me experience your forgiveness today and then live and teach in a way that points and motivates others to radically follow you. Keep my feet to the fire. Amen

3 comments:

Gaia said...

Hi Pastor Crouch, i stumbled across your blog ( i too am a blogger) the other day and by happy coincidence i believe you are the Pastor of the church that my Grand Parents lived next to most of my childhood. Rush and Vi Morrow lived in the little white house next to the First Baptist Church in Charlotte. I am their Grand Daughter, Gaia. Several years ago, with a heavy heart, i moved Vi out to Nebraska to be near her sister. She greatly misses her church, her friends and her home, and i miss both my Grand Parents daily. You may already correspond with her, i don't know, but i know it would do her heart good to hear from her beloved church family. If i've mistake you for someone else, i'm sorry, i do hope that this has reached the right person. Even so, Vi's a brilliant woman with a witty sense of humor who loves the Lord-you may enjoy chatting with her!

Thanks!

Gaia Klass

Anonymous said...

As much as this passage reminds teachers of the responsibility that they have, it also serves as a word of warnings to students. The warning is implied through the affirmation that the student is not "above" the teacher. Then in the second part of the verse there is the call to become rather "like" the teacher. How often do students propel in their education only to disclose their ignorance by assuming that they have now catapulted to a position above the prof? Responsibility and humility...what a dynamic duo for teaching! "Bud" (Hope I don't keep you up late at nights pastor wondering, "who is this guy or gal?")

Anonymous said...

Paster Crouch, I think you should have them change the name on the church home page to "Paster Crouch's unblog." :) We miss you.

Stephen