Thursday, September 4, 2008

Life Journal 09-04-2008 In The Gap

In The Gap
(S) Scripture

Ezekiel 22:30 (NASB77)

30 "And I searched for a man among them who should build up the wall and stand in the gap before Me for the land, that I should not destroy it; but I found no one.

(O) Observation
Ezekiel has just given God's judgment for the sins of Israel and in this one verse looks for one to stand in the gap for the land before God.

(A) Application
This passage could be describing the culture I live in. The American culture is certainly just as guilty as the Israelites were in this passage. I have been called by God into pastoral ministry. Sometimes I lose sight that I am called not to a position of "church work" but rather a place of ministry. I am to be the one standing in the gap for the people the Lord has called me to serve. Administrative duties are important but not nearly as important as helping people bridge the gap between them and the Lord. I am to stand in the gap and pray for those who think they cannot pray for themselves. I am to call those who have strayed back into fellowship with the Lord and the church. I cannot be passive or silent. In the Ezekiel passage God did not find anyone to stand in the gap. Today I will seek to be that man in Charlotte. It is my calling and my honor.

(P) Prayer
Lord I need your help and strength to do what you have called me to do. I am not capable of helping others without you. I ask for the Holy Spirit to guide and for the courage to follow. Help me to stand in the gap today. Amen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Do I interpret your insights to mean that a Baptist minister might actually have a "priestly" function? If so, wonderful! It's a significant part of Biblical theology that's been lost by those who sometimes hide behind the cloak of "the priesthood of believers." Let's hope for the upset that will stun all of your Big 10 friends in Michigana country! Your "bud"