Monday, September 29, 2008

Life Journal 09-29-2008 Where Is My Heart

Where Is My Heart

(S) Scripture
Luke 12:34 (NASB77)
34 "For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

(O) Observation
Jesus tells us that our heart follows our treasure. Where we put our treasure is where we will find our heart.

(A) Application
This is a sobering statement from Jesus. Conventional wisdom says that people give to their passion. Here Jesus says the opposite. Heart follows treasure not treasure follows heart. When I take a hard look at where I put my treasure it tells me a great deal about my priorities. This is a hard lesson because it reveals how out of whack my heart can be. Am I moved when I see people in need? Am I generous to those who have less? Do I really take care of the "least of these?" When I look at how I invest my treasure sometimes this is not a pretty picture. Sometimes I get it right but this is a hard teaching of Jesus. Today I will examine again how I use my treasure and get a better picture of where my heart is. I really want my heart to be following and committed to the Lord. I wonder what my treasure will reveal?

(P) Prayer
Lord I know that all I have is from you. Let me use it in ways that please and honor you. Take what I have and use it for your purposes. I want my heart to be yours. Amen

No comments: