Thursday, February 5, 2009

Life Journal 02-05-2009

The Way to Live

(S) Scripture
O Lord, who may abide in Thy tent? Who may dwell on Thy holy hill?
He who walks with integrity, and works righteousness, And speaks truth in his heart.
He does not slander with his tongue, Nor does evil to his neighbor, Nor takes up a reproach against his friend;
In whose eyes a reprobate is despised, But who honors those who fear the LORD; He swears to his own hurt, and does not change;
He does not put out his money at interest, Nor does he take a bribe against the innocent. He who does these things will never be shaken.
Psalm 15:1-5 (NASB77)

(O) Observation
when I read this I was immediately struck with its simplicity. I was reminded that following Jesus is not tough to understand, it is tough to do sometimes. It is simple and not complicated.

(A) Application
I am amazed at how often I make following Jesus a complicated, hard to understand endeavor. Here the psalmist again reminds me that it is simple:
Live with integrity
Do what is right in God's eyes
Speak the truth
Watch your words
Love your neighbors and friends
Protect the innocent and less fortunate

Summed up it is again – Love God with all you have and Love others as you love yourself.

(P) Prayer
Lord, you know my heart and my desires. Let me live this way. Let my life please you. Amen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pastor, the passage, on the surface seems simple. However, it raises critical complicated theological questions. is the tezt suggesting that the only individuals who can "stand in God's presence" are individuals who perform righteous "works"? If so, does this border on a "works-righteousness"? Your old bud returns....ain't you glad? Miss me?