Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Life Journal 02-24-2009

Forgiveness and Consequences

(S) Scripture
"Now may the Lord's strength be displayed, just as you have declared:
'The LORD is slow to anger, abounding in love and forgiving sin and rebellion. Yet he does not leave the guilty unpunished; he punishes the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation.'
In accordance with your great love, forgive the sin of these people, just as you have pardoned them from the time they left Egypt until now."
The LORD replied, "I have forgiven them, as you asked.
Nevertheless, as surely as I live and as surely as the glory of the LORD fills the whole earth,
not one of the men who saw my glory and the miraculous signs I performed in Egypt and in the desert but who disobeyed me and tested me ten times--
Numbers 14:17-22 (NIV)

(O) Observation
The Lord has just told Moses how he is going to punish the people because of their sin. The scripture I chose is Moses plea to God and God's response. Moses repeats God's words back to Him describing his character and actions toward the people. He also remembers that the Lord does not let the guilty go unpunished. God responds by forgiving the people but there are consequences for their sin. Here we see just how seriously God takes sin and the consequences of it. God forgives the guilt and ultimate penalty for sin but not necessarily the punishment for the sin.

(A) Application
I am comforted by the knowledge that, "'The LORD is slow to anger, abounding in love and forgiving sin and rebellion." I must be warned that forgiveness does not remove the consequences or punishment for my behavior. God's forgiveness through Christ is complete and total when I receive Christ as Savior/Lord. I experience this forgiveness fresh every time I confess my sin. Even though forgiveness is experienced fresh the consequences need to be addressed. There may be punishment to endure or restitution to be made or apologies to be given. Today I will trust in the God who forgives and will not balk or complain about the punishment I brought on to myself.

(P) Prayer
Lord, help me to patiently and graciously endure the consequences of my sin. Let me experience your forgiveness and continue to live in your grace. Let me share your love with others. Let me be an example of what it means to live out your faith in a world that calls for compromise. Amen

No comments: