Thursday, February 19, 2009

Life Journal 02-19-2009

Being a Priest

(S) Scripture
"' "The LORD bless you and keep you;
the LORD make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you;
the LORD turn his face toward you and give you peace."'
"So they will put my name on the Israelites, and I will bless them."
Numbers 6:24-27 (NIV)

(O) Observation
After an explanation of the Nazirite Vow the Lord commands Moses to have Aaron and his sons (the priests) to bless the Israelites with the words of the verses I chose for today. By doing so the priests would be putting God's name on the people.

(A) Application
At a retreat last week one of the speakers talked about our pastoral role as a priest. A priest stands in the gap between God and man. In so doing we represent God to the people and the people to God. He described this role as primarily what people want from us in those critical times in their lives. Why do new parents ask the pastor to hold and pray for the newborn – Why do pastors get called to the hospital – Why do families want a pastor at the time of a death? It is not because I am Robin Crouch but rather because in that moment I am the priest that represents God to them and carries their needs to God. I am not here denying the pri3sthood of all believers and I know that every believer can go directly to God's throne. What I am saying that in those moments I represent God's presence for them. That is an incredible responsibility. Here is what I get to do. I get to place God's name on them. WOW!!! What a privilege and honor. As a Baptist I have shied away from the idea of being a "priest" but in this context and with this blessing it is a role I will joyfully fulfill.

(P) Prayer
Lord in all I do today let me represent you well. When needed let me present you to the people and the people to you. Let me place your name on them. Let me be a priest in that way today. Amen

No comments: