Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Life Journal 11-18-2009

What is My Motivation for Ministry

(S) Scripture
Now I am ready to visit you for the third time, and I will not be a burden to you, because what I want is not your possessions but you. After all, children should not have to save up for their parents, but parents for their children. So I will very gladly spend for you everything I have and expend myself as well. If I love you more, will you love me less?
2 Corinthians 12:14-15 (NIV)

(O) Observation
Paul has been defending his ministry with the Corinthian church. He has visited with them twice and is anticipating coming a third time. While in Corinth Paul did not take financial support from the people, thus he was not a burden to them. Some must have been accusing him of only being after their possessions and not really caring about them. Paul says he wants them not their possessions and rather than taking he will spend what he has and even expend himself. He will give all he has for their benefit.

(A) Application
There are plenty of examples of preachers and ministries that have fleeced people and bilked millions of dollars away from legitimate ministries into their own pockets. These charlatans have tainted all legitimate ministries. It is no wonder that people are skeptical and think that churches and preachers only want their money. My motivation must reflect what Paul wrote here. I must want people more than things and I must be willing to spend all I have and expend all of my energy in ministry to the people God has called me to serve. If this makes me weak then with Paul I will boast in my weakness because it is there that God's strength is made known.
As Senior Pastor part of my responsibility is to monitor the financial condition of the church. That can sometimes focus my attention on dollars rather than on people. Here again I am reminded by the psalmist that God "owns the cattle on a thousand hills," (Psalm 50:10) and I am worried about hamburger. Today I will invest myself in the lives of the people God has called me to serve and reach.

(P) Prayer
Lord, keep my focus where it should be. Thank you for meeting my every need. Let me invest myself in people today so that they too might come to know you and follow you. Amen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Paul obviously didn't have to deal with being a part of the 'sandwich generation,' having to take care of our children and our parents. Given the cost of living, the increased medical expenses, etc. I can't help but wonder if Paul would still use this same illustration. After all, respecting our parents may actually eventually involve having to provide financial care for them. Ideal? Perhaps not. Realistic? Unfortunately so! "Bud"