Sunday, November 22, 2009

Life Journal 11-22-2009

What's Really Important to Me

(S) Scripture
You brood of vipers, how can you who are evil say anything good? For out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks.
Matthew 12:34 (NIV)

(O) Observation
Jesus is addressing the Pharisees and does not hold back his criticism. In this Jesus give us a piece of wisdom that can be a corrective in our lives too.

(A) Application
What overflows our heart spills out of our mouths. What is first on my heart is first in my speech. When I listen to what I talk most about I will know what fills my heart. That can be a sobering and convicting exercise. Often we talk about our heart being filled with the Lord but our speech reveals something different. I do not think this means that every word we speak will reference God but I do think that our faith will be evident in every conversation. This is one of those things Jesus said that work me over the most. I listen to my speech and am convicted. Today I renew my commitment to havng my heart full of the things of God leaving no room for the evil that wants to fill my heart.

(P) Prayer
Lord let me be so full of you that there is no room for evil. Let me live my life filled with the Holy Spirit and doing your will. Amen

No comments: