Monday, November 23, 2009

Life Journal 11-23-2009

Am I Too Much Like The Disciples?

(S) Scripture
Jesus replied, "They do not need to go away. You give them something to eat."
"We have here only five loaves of bread and two fish," they answered.
"Bring them here to me," he said.
Matthew 14:16-18 (NIV)

Jesus called his disciples to him and said, "I have compassion for these people; they have already been with me three days and have nothing to eat. I do not want to send them away hungry, or they may collapse on the way."
His disciples answered, "Where could we get enough bread in this remote place to feed such a crowd?"
"How many loaves do you have?" Jesus asked. "Seven," they replied, "and a few small fish."
Matthew 15:32-34 (NIV)

(O) Observation
On two occasions a short time apart Jesus tells the disciples to feed the crowds that have gathered. Both times they ask Jesus just how they are supposed to do that with the limited resources they have. In both cases Jesus takes what they have and it is multiplied as they give it to the people. Everyone eats their fill and there is plenty left over. You would think that the disciples would have remembered what Jesus did in the first occasion but evidently they did not.

(A) Application
You would think that after seeing what Jesus did on the first occasion that when a similar situation arose they would have know what to do. Again they show the immaturity of their faith or maybe their forgetfulness by asking again just how they are to accomplish the task with limited resources. I wonder how many times I have seen Jesus act and then in a similar situation wonder what I should do or what Jesus will do. Sometimes I accuse the disciples of being slow in their understanding of who Jesus is and what he can do but then I find myself in the same shoes. Why am I so slow to learn and trust? Today I simply want to trust Jesus and do what He says and to allow him to us the resources I have and not worry about what I do not have.

(P) Prayer
Lord help me to trust in you and not worry or fret over the resources I have. The only resource I really need is You. Amen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I also see a fantastic stewardship lesson in this story . Normally, in a crowd this size with limited resources, only those "in the front" are lucky enough to get something to eat. But Jesus stretched his resource to make sure that even those "in the back of the crowd" got something to eat. Wouldn't it be wonderful if Christians became such extravagant givers of our resources that noone was left out...even the unwanted, disenfranchised, alienated and more who are so often shoved to the back of the line. I'm glad that FBC remembers those who are in "back of the line" in the Lansing rescue mission and other places. May we never forget.

"Bud"