Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Life Journal 12-08-2009

A Personal Directive

(S) Scripture
Watch your life and doctrine closely. Persevere in them, because if you do, you will save both yourself and your hearers.
1 Timothy 4:16 (NIV)

(O) Observation
In defending his apostleship Paul in the first chapter gives this word of thanksgiving: I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has given me strength, that he considered me faithful, appointing me to his service.
1 Timothy 1:12 (NIV) He goes on to describe the life out of which he was called. It is with this sense of call and thanksgiving that Paul gives instructions to Timothy as he takes the leadership of the church in Ephesus. After a list of things Timothy was to do comes the exhortation in verse 16. It would seem that life practice and doctrine are linked. What you believe does impact your behavior.

(A) Application
This directive is for me, too. As one called to be a pastor I must watch how I live and what I believe. I must make sure that what I do and believe are consistent with what the Bible teaches and the standards the Bible sets. What I believe does affect how I behave. I cannot act like those who do not know Christ. I cannot give in to my sinful nature. I must persevere in the truth. That means I cannot give up or give in but I must press on in my faith walk with Jesus. Today I choose to follow Jesus. Today I want to persevere.

(P) Prayer
Lord, You know how easy it is for me to give up or give in to my sinful nature. Let me follow you so closely today that that will not be an issue. My desire is to persevere in you today. Amen

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

THis is a marvelous text that balances belief and behavior so well. Paul seems to be carrying out the same tension as does James in his writing. We live in a culture however where some will say, "It's not what I do but what I believe that matters the most." Paul seems to infer here that appropriate belief will lead to appropriate behavior....and if either is lacking both God and our witnesses may raise questions. "Buddy"

Robin said...

You are "spot on"