Thursday, December 10, 2009

Life Journal 12-10-2009

An Encouraging Word

(S) Scripture
2 Timothy 4:3-5 (NIV)
3 For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear.
4 They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths.
5 But you, keep your head in all situations, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, discharge all the duties of your ministry.

(O) Observation
In closing his letter to Timothy, Paul gives him a "head's up" on what to expect and a word of encouragement and challenge. When people will not listen or begin to believe lies of false teachers do not give up but keep on doing what God has called you to do.

(A) Application
I must admit there are days when I wonder if I am making a difference at all. This is not a pity party. In conversations with some people I hear them talk about what they believe. It is so far from what I have been preaching and teaching that I wonder who they are listening to. They have fallen prey to the "health and wealth" preachers and their perversion of the Gospel. The pace of the holiday season (both Thanksgiving and Christmas) makes you tired. I have conducted more funerals this year than in any other year in my ministry. The emotional fatigue that comes from the funerals and ministering to the families also takes a toll. I am not complaining and am honored to serve families in times of crisis. When I am tired I get cranky. That's why this is such an encouraging and challenging word for me today. I am to keep my head in every situation, I am to endure whatever, and I am to continue to do what God has called me to do. That by the way is to pastor the people of First Baptist Church, Charlotte, MI. the reading today was the "shot in the arm" that I needed.

(P) Prayer
Lord make me aware of when I am tired or angry or frustrated and help me to keep my head in all situations. Let me be an example of your grace by speaking the truth in love. Let my life make a difference in some others today. Amen

No comments: