Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Life Journal 12-23-2009

The Holy Spirit's Presence

(S) Scripture
John 16:7 (NIV)
7 But I tell you the truth: It is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Counselor will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you.

(O) Observation
Jesus is telling his disciples about his death and also about the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit will come to them as their Counselor. The Holy Spirit will guide, teach, convict and comfort them. He will also testify concerning Jesus. The Holy Spirit will be their Helper so that they might live lives that bring glory to God and honor Jesus. Jesus says it is for their good that this will happen.

(A) Application
Most of us at sometime have thought that it would have been much easier to follow Jesus if we had him physically present with us. If we lived when he was breathing on this earth we would be better followers or better Christians. But look at what Jesus said to the disciples in verse 7 - It is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Counselor will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you. Jesus says we are better off spiritually with the Holy Spirit's presence in our lives than by being in his presence. Now that is something to think about. The Holy Spirit who lives in me is the same Holy Spirit that Jesus said would come to the disciples. I have the same Spirit they had. Jesus loves and provides for me the same way he did for his disciples. Now that brings great comfort and strength to my life. During the week when we celebrate Jesus' birth I am reminded of why he was born and how I am to live for him. I am to live in the power of the Holy Spirit. It is hard to imagine but I am better off with the Holy Spirit. Jesus could only touch so many lives physically but the Holy Spirit lives in every believer. WOW

(P) Prayer
Lord let me walk by faith in the power of your Holy Spirit today. Let me experience His presence in my life and help me make a difference for you today. Amen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pastor, why do you think the Spirit could not come until Jesus' mission was completed? Why couldn't both parties be active in the Kingdom's ministry? I know John speaks elsewhere about the Spirit coming after Jesus has been glorified (death, ress. and ascension)...but why? Does it have something to do with the fact that they had different roles to play and the one could only come after the other was done? Sort of like saying that the carpet layer can only come and lay the carpet after the carpenter is done laying down the plywood first? "Your inquiring bud". Have a great Christmas break!