Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Life Journal 08-04-2009

A Godly Leader's Task

(S) Scripture
Josiah removed all the detestable idols from all the territory belonging to the Israelites, and he had all who were present in Israel serve the LORD their God. As long as he lived, they did not fail to follow the LORD, the God of their fathers.
2 Chronicles 34:33 (NIV)

(O) Observation
In this record of the work of Josiah we find that he was faithful to God and led the people to live the same way. He had the idols removed and compelled the people to live faithfully for the Lord. Because of his leadership (OK as king there may have been some coercion) the people served God as long as Josiah lived.

(A) Application
When I read this I was struck with the fact that this is what I am to be doing as the pastor of First Baptist. I am to compel (I cannot coerce) people to live faithfully. A great joy for my life would be if all the people of First Baptist were living faithfully for the lord all the days of my life. What I do really does have eternal significance. It is my responsibility to help people tear down their idols and help them worship and serve the Living God. It is my desire to be that kind of leader.

(P) Prayer
Lord let me live my life in such a way that it sets the example for others to follow in being faithful to you and you alone. Help me to tear down the idols inmy own life so that others can see the way to tear down the idols in their lives. Let me lead the people of First Baptist in a way that is pleasing and faithful to you. Amen

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back Pastor! I wonder what do you consider to be the top idols that deter individuals from a consistent Christian commitment? I tend to agree with the four idols once identified by Dr. John Stott: Materialism, Individualism, Pluralism and Relativism. They are each idols that are afront to the cross. Materialism leads to the worship of things; individualism leads to the worship of self and self gratification and all that accompanies it. Pluralism leads to the worship of tolerance as an ideal, to the sacrifice of truth. Relativism leads to the acceptance of practices and acts that are based upon context and not on the authority of Scripture. I think Stott has something. Don't you? Again, welcome back!!! "Your Bud"

Robin Crouch said...

Stott said it well. I am not sure that many understand all these "isms" and how harmful they can be to our spiritual lives. Many have so neutered our faith that it can be morphed to match anything anyone wants to believe. Those idols must be torn down and we must again make people aware that God is Awesome, Powerful, Jealous and will not be one of many but is only the One True God. He will not share His throne with anytone or anything else.