Friday, August 7, 2009

Life Journal 08-07-2009

Blinded by Spiritual Pride

(S) Scripture
30The man answered, "Now that is remarkable! You don't know where he comes from, yet he opened my eyes. 31We know that God does not listen to sinners. He listens to the godly man who does his will. 32Nobody has ever heard of opening the eyes of a man born blind. 33If this man were not from God, he could do nothing."  34To this they replied, "You were steeped in sin at birth; how dare you lecture us!" And they threw him out.
John 9:30-34

(O) Observation
Because it did not fit into their narrow and "privileged" view and understanding of God the Pharisees rejected the healing of the blind man as being from God. When challenged the man spoke the truth but their spiritual pride and arrogance kept them from accepting the truth. In fact they got irritated that this uneducated man would think he could teach them anything. Their spiritual pride kept them from understanding the truth.

(A) Application
I must realize that truth can come from unexpected sources. I appreciate my education but must understand that a person does not need a seminary education to speak God's truth. I cannot let my prejudices keep me from hearing and recognizing God's truth whoever it comes from. Today I will listen for truth and then square it with what scripture says, not what I wish or thing or want scripture to say but rather what it says.

(P) Prayer

Lord, help me to recognize your truth regardless of the source. Help me to keep my prejudices from blinding me to your truth. Give me a discerning heart. Amen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your post reminds me of a profound moment on "Desperate Housewives." (Oops....are we allowed to refer to 'that show' on a Baptist blog?) In one scene Lynette goes to church after wrestling with problems. The pastor says, "Faith in God isn't about answers, it's about questions." Talk about truth in an unlikely place. Pastor, don't be afraid to push the envelope a bit on Sunday AM. Using video clips, even from unlikely places, can reveal all kinds of morsels of truth. "Bud"