Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Life Journal 08-05-2009

Quick Judgment

(S) Scripture
Stop judging by mere appearances, and make a right judgment."
John 7:24 (NIV)

(O) Observation
Jesus is addressing those who make quick judgments based on appearances rather than considering the whole of the matter. Here Jesus is being criticized for healing a man on the Sabbath. In there criticism the people failed to consider their own practice of circumcision that must be done on the eighth day even if it falls on the Sabbath. Jesus exhorts them to consider the whole and make a right judgment rather than one based solely on appearances.

(A) Application
Things are not always what they appear. When I jump to a judgment based on appearances I am likely to get the judgment wrong because I have not considered the whole and all the factors. Jesus exhorts me to consider all the facts before I make a judgment. Today I will work to look at all factors and circumstances before I make a judgment. This does not mean that I tolerate sin or law breaking but it does mean that I will give careful examination to all factors before I make a judgment. I must be careful in making a quick judgment because like those in this passage I might be judging them for something I am also doing.

(P) Prayer
Father, you know how quick I am to assess and judge a situation. Teach me to pause and make a right judgment based on the whole and not just based on appearances. Help me to be redemptive and not condemning in my dealings with people. Let me reflect you. Amen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HA! HA! Your blog brings to mind a former moment in our church's history in which a youth pastor named James preached on the theme of appearances and he preached that Sunday with earings in his ears; wearing a very relaxed Hawaiian looking shirt and shorts and tennis shoes. I think the people were stunned when he got into the pulpit. Then he started, "Some of you have judged me already." It was sort of "Tony Campolo Like". Just a tidbit from our past. And your insight is right on. "The Bud who's been around a while."