Monday, August 31, 2009

Life Journal 08-31-2009

Personal Choices

(S) Scripture
"Son of man, if a country sins against me by being unfaithful and I stretch out my hand against it to cut off its food supply and send famine upon it and kill its men and their animals,
even if these three men--Noah, Daniel and Job--were in it, they could save only themselves by their righteousness, declares the Sovereign LORD.
"Or if I send wild beasts through that country and they leave it childless and it becomes desolate so that no one can pass through it because of the beasts,
as surely as I live, declares the Sovereign LORD, even if these three men were in it, they could not save their own sons or daughters. They alone would be saved, but the land would be desolate.
"Or if I bring a sword against that country and say, 'Let the sword pass throughout the land,' and I kill its men and their animals,
as surely as I live, declares the Sovereign LORD, even if these three men were in it, they could not save their own sons or daughters. They alone would be saved.
"Or if I send a plague into that land and pour out my wrath upon it through bloodshed, killing its men and their animals,
as surely as I live, declares the Sovereign LORD, even if Noah, Daniel and Job were in it, they could save neither son nor daughter. They would save only themselves by their righteousness.
Ezekiel 14:13-20 (NIV)

(O) Observation
The prophet is describing the judgment that is coming to Israel. In it he cites three of their "faith heroes" and says that even they could only save themselves by their righteousness. Even their sons and daughters were in peril. Each must make his personal decision to follow. The outcome is terrible for those who refuse to follow the Lord.

(A) Application
I am responsible for my relationship with the Lord. I must personally decide to follow the Lord, I cannot get in on my parent's faith. My faith must be my own. It is my responsibility to share and lead and live out my faith before my children and the people around me but they must follow the Lord by personal choice. I cannot coerce them to follow and they will not be spared because of my choice to follow. It is sobering to think about but our relationship with God is not about the country we live in or the family we were born in, although these can be great assets in our faith walk, but it is in our personal choice to trust in Christ's death and resurrection for us and then to follow Him.

(P) Prayer
Lord I thank you for providing a way for me to be made right with you. Thank you for Jesus' death and resurrection on my behalf. I love you and want to live faithfully for you. Use me today and let me be a faithful and true witness of your work on our behalf. Amen

No comments: