Monday, August 3, 2009

Life Journal 08-03-2009

Great News

(S) Scripture
"I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life.
John 5:24 (NIV)

(O) Observation
Jesus gives this simple and yet profound and offensive statement to the people who were persecuting him. Jesus had healed a man on the Sabbath and was being persecuted for it by the religious legalists among the Jews. Thinking that they were the only ones with access to God, Jesus rocks them with this statement. Jesus says it is "whoever", not just restricted to the Jews, hears and believes has eternal life.

(A) Application
That is great news for all of us. Anyone who hears His word and believes has eternal life, no condemnation and has life. I wonder if there are those who I see every day that I do not think are worthy of God's mercy, those I refuse to share the good news with because it is not for them. Now I would never say something like that because I know it is not scriptural but I wonder about my actions. Today I commit to sharing with those I meet. I will keep my focus on what God says and will ignore my prejudices.

(P) Prayer
Lord, open my eyes to see people like you do. Give me courage to share the good news with them. Let me live for you today. Amen

No comments: