Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Life Journal 08-19-2009

Training Camp

(S) Scripture
When Peter saw him, he asked, "Lord, what about him?"
Jesus answered, "If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you? You must follow me."
John 21:21-22 (NIV)

(O) Observation
Jesus has just restored Peter. Three times he asks Peter, "Do you love me?" Peter responds each time by affirming his love for Jesus. Most think that Jesus did this three times because f Peter's three denials before the crucifixion. Jesus then tells Peter how he is going to die. Jesus finishes by telling Peter to "Follow Me." Peter see John and immediately asks Jesus how he is going to die. Jesus tells peter that it is not his concern but that he is to follow Jesus regardless of what God has planned for others.

(A) Application
I have been doing a series of messages titled, "Training Camp". In this series I am emphasizing the basics of our faith in Christ. Just as football training camp emphasizes blocking and tackling and band camps emphasize scales and proper marching steps before anything else is added so in our training camp we are going back to the basics that will help us grow as followers of Christ. Jesus' words to peter are about as basic as you can get. "Follow Me" regardless of what anyone else is doing or experiencing. The directive was for Peter to follow Jesus wherever that led. That is where we each must begin our walk with Jesus. It is the basic step of faith that declares that I will follow Jesus.
I am sometimes like Peter. I want things to be fair and equal. After all, why should I suffer and others not? Jesus says my only concern should be to follow him. Now that is basic and that is Training Camp 101. Today I will follow Jesus and not be distracted.

(P) Prayer
father, you know how easy it is to compare and how easily I am distracted from following you completely. Today I want to follow you and you alone. Make me aware of when I am not doing so. Let me make a difference for you today. Amen

No comments: