Thursday, August 27, 2009

Life Journal 08-27-2009

A Daily Prayer

(S) Scripture
Teach me to do your will, for you are my God; may your good Spirit lead me on level ground.
Psalm 143:10 (NIV)

(O) Observation
IN this psalm David asks the Lord for a number of things. He asks for mercy, relief from his enemies, answer to his prayers and a sense of God's love. These are just a few of his requests. He also asks for God to teach and lead him. That is a prayer we each should pray daily.

(A) Application
I am struck at how often David, described in the Bible as a man after God's own heart, asks the lord to teach and guide him. If David needed to do this continually how much more do I need to do this? It is my heart's desire to live out God's will in my life. I want to be guided by the Holy Spirit moment by moment. It does not happen automatically, I must constantly yield myself to God's Will and direction. This will be my daily prayer because I want to make a difference for the cause of Christ wherever I am.

(P) Prayer
Lord today I will pray what David prayed. Teach me to do your will, for you are my God; may your good Spirit lead me on level ground. Amen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm struck by the verb "do" in relating David's desire to respond to God's will. Many Christians pray, "Lord, show me your will." However, the showing and the doing are two different aspects. Often, God speaks and reveals his will, yet we lack the courage and capacity to follow. Perhaps this is why in the NT, Jesus asks, "Why do you call me Lord Lord and DO not the things that I ask?" Knowing and doing, understanding and acting are both parts of the covenental relationship we enjoy with God. Tragically, I have known Christians, even at FBC who pray for God's will and then do nothing. Sometimes, it's even obvious. They want to know God's will about money, but don't tithe. They want to know God's will on marriage, and marry someone outside the faith...and more. I'm sure you agree. "Bud"