Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Life Journal 03-11-2009

Hypocrisy

(S) Scripture
But when I saw that they were not straightforward about the truth of the gospel, I said to Cephas in the presence of all, "If you, being a Jew, live like the Gentiles and not like the Jews, how is it that you compel the Gentiles to live like Jews?
Galatians 2:14 (NASB77)

(O) Observation
Paul confronts Peter about his hypocrisy. He was requiring the Gentiles to live like the Jews and yet he was not doing it himself. This is in a ti9me when the church was carving out its identity in a hostile world. The new believers were part of a new faith group (Christians) and they were still trying to figure out just what that meant. Some thought that it meant being obedient to all the Jewish teachings and ways. Paul though confronts that thinking with a freedom that comes from following Christ. There is a depth of commitment in Paul that goes beyond the surface to the core of their beings. Paul challenges Peter to be true to his faith in Jesus and not just to the traditions he grew up with. The new believers, especially the new Gentile believers, needed solid examples to follow and so Paul challenges Peter to step up and teach the truth of the gospel and to give grace and direction to the new believers.

(A) Application
It is easy to say one thing and do another. That is hypocrisy. It is easy to make excuses for why I do or don't do things. I have been so busy doing ministry that I have neglected my personal devotions. I can make all kinds of excuses and yet they are just that, excuses. I preach and teach that people need to have a time alone with God and find myself not doing it. That is hypocrisy. Today I renew my commitment to this time with God. I know that my spirit has suffered in the past couple of weeks. I cannot preach one thing and do another. I confess my sin and commit to following through with this important part of my spiritual life. This time with the Lord is part of the balance I need in my life.

(P) Prayer
Lord, I confess my hypocrisy and sin. Thank you for your forgiveness. Grant to me the strength and encouragement to do your will and to follow you more closely. Amen

No comments: