Thursday, March 19, 2009

Life Journal 03-19-2009

Words

(S) Scripture
For the kingdom of God does not consist in words, but in power.
1 Corinthians 4:20 (NASB77)

(O) Observation
Paul was not concerned about what people said as much as he was with what they could accomplish. Although "words" are powerful Paul wanted to know what these people could accomplish. He knew that many talk a good game or bully their way through and he was ready to take them on. Paul knew that the Kingdom comes in power that will crush mere words.

(A) Application
Too often I listen or am threatened by what some people say. The power plays they make and the threats they make are mostly hollow. The only strength they have is what I give them. Here Paul reminds me that the Kingdom consists of power not words. The God I serve is powerful and nothing takes Him by surprise of overwhelms Him. I can trust that God to guide and protect me. I need not fear the words of others, I must only trust in the Power of the God I serve. He brings the victory and how silly is it for me to think that I need to fight God's battles. Today I will again focus on walking by faith in the power of the Holy Spirit and making a difference for the Lord regardless of what some might say or threaten.

(P) Prayer
Lord, grant me the strength to follow you and the grace not to be distracted by the idle threats of those who oppose you. Amen

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Being engaged in ministry means getting caught in the crossfire at times. Yet, don't allow those "words" to deter you. You're doing a solid job pastor! Attacks and empty accusations only have the power we assign them. The old bud is praying for your today.

Anonymous said...

I want "my old Bud" to know how encouraged I am by their comments. It is good to know that people are praying for you and standing with you.
Thanks again