Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Life Journal 03-17-2009

Consequences

(S) Scripture
And the LORD spoke to Moses that very same day, saying,
"Go up to this mountain of the Abarim, Mount Nebo, which is in the land of Moab opposite Jericho, and look at the land of Canaan, which I am giving to the sons of Israel for a possession.
"Then die on the mountain where you ascend, and be gathered to your people, as Aaron your brother died on Mount Hor and was gathered to his people,
because you broke faith with Me in the midst of the sons of Israel at the waters of Meribah-kadesh, in the wilderness of Zin, because you did not treat Me as holy in the midst of the sons of Israel.
"For you shall see the land at a distance, but you shall not go there, into the land which I am giving the sons of Israel."
Deuteronomy 32:48-52 (NASB77)

(O) Observation
Moses is one of the great heroes of the Bible. He was used by God in many ways: He led the Israelites out of Egypt, God gave him the Ten Commandments, he spoke directly with God, etc. and yet when he sinned by not speaking to the rock for water but rather he struck it as before, the penalty for that was he could not enter the promised land. It seems harsh and yet it shows how serious God is about sin and how important it is for us to do exactly what he says. Even Moses was not sparred punishment for his sin. It shows that God does not grade on the curve.

(A) Application
I am called to follow Jesus and to carry out God's will for my life. Moses was allowed to see the promised land but was not allowed to experience it. I do not want to simply see what God has for me I want to experience it. I must be constantly in tune with His will for me and walking by faith in the power of the Holy Spirit. Consequences come to all of us. If God did not spare Moses why would I think he would make an exception for me? Today I will listen for God's instructions and then obey.

(P) Prayer
Father, You know how easily I get distracted and you will seems clouded. Today I want to see and hear clearly so that I might experience all you have for me today in in the days to come. Take control of my life and use me today. Amen

No comments: