Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Life Journal 03-31-2009

I am back from the Jamaica Mission Trip. We spent a week at the Jamaica Deaf Village doing construction work on a new facility there. This was the 16th consecutive year for our church to take a team to the Deaf Village. It was a great week for all. It is good to be back home again.

Cowboy Up

(S) Scripture
Be on the alert, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
1 Corinthians 16:13 (NASB77)

(O) Observation
Paul is finishing his letter to this troubled church. He concludes with greetings and a benediction. He also encourages them to move forward in their faith in Jesus.

(A) Application
As I read this verse I thought of a reality TV show I ran across channel surfing called, "The Toughest Cowboy". That reminded me of the saying, "Cowboy Up" which is a way of saying – Don't give up or give in. When you are tired and hurt get back on the bull, when you are exhausted and have no strength, get back to business there is a horse to ride, It's time to "Cowboy Up". The church in Corinth had its troubles and its leaders must have been tired and worn out and yet Paul tells them to "Cowboy Up" – stand firm, act like men, be strong. This is good encouragement for me. There are times in my life when I am tired and exhausted and ministry needs just keep coming and I am reminded to, "Cowboy Up" not in my own strength but in God's. In my weakness, He is strong. I must rely on His strength. The Lord enables me to, "Be on the alert, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong."

(P) Prayer
Lord, I know that my strength comes from you. Forgive me when I try to go it in my own strength. Let me experience your strength today and let me be alert and strong. Let me be the man you created me to be. Amen

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As they said on the old "Kotter" show, "welcome back!" Where's the tan? Sounds like you "cowboyed up" in Jamaica. Hard work, but fulfilling. One additional thought....the next verse in the text speaks about the need to do everything in love. Isn't it possible that Paul was thinking about the need to "cowboy up" in dealing with their relational issues that were destroying the church at Corinth...the issue of tongues, the expelling of the brother, the inappropriate forms of worship and more. Thus, they needed to "cowboy up" and not back down, but it had to be done in love. It's also consistent with the I Cor. 13 text. Thus for me, the text says, "don't back down when you know what needs to be said or needs to be done but do it out of love! Cowboy up in your relationships! Just don't cowboy like John Wayne....do it like Jesus Christ!" Your bud welcomes your return. Your voice from the pulpit was missed but you left the congregation in fine hands!

Robin said...

What a great thought. How incredible would it be if the people of our church would "cowboy up" in love like Jesus for each other and the community.
Thanks again for the great insight