Saturday, March 14, 2009

Life Journal 03-14-2009

Living Free

(S) Scripture
For you were called to freedom, brethren; only do not turn your freedom into an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another.
Galatians 5:13 (NASB77)

(O) Observation
Paul is addressing how believers are to live in their new found faith. Having been freed from the law we cannot turn that freedom into an opportunity to sin. We are free to Love one another. Later in this chapter Paul tells how this is done, by walking after the spirit and not after the flesh. He concludes this chapter by listing the fruit of the Spirit, the natural result of walking by faith, and says "against such things there is no law". There is no law against living by faith and acting out the fruit of the Spirit in our daily lives.

(A) Application
It is easy to focus on keeping the law but freedom is much better. Freedom requires that we be in constant touch with the Lord and that we walk by faith and not follow the desires of our flesh. We are always free to do what is right and holy and godly. We have not been set free to sin or pursue our selfish desires. Today I will walk by faith and continue my practice of "Spiritual Breathing", a concept I learned as a college student from Bill Bright of Campus Crusade for Christ. I will exhale by confessing my known sin and then inhale by giving control of my life to the Holy Spirit. I will be explaining this concept in more detail in tomorrows message.

(P) Prayer
Lord, You know my heart and my desire. You know when I am selfish and when I abuse the freedom you have given me. Today I want to walk by faith and serve others through love. Let your love flow through me today. Amen

No comments: