Friday, March 13, 2009

Life Journal 03-13-2009

Neighbors

(S) Scripture
"You shall not see your countryman's ox or his sheep straying away, and pay no attention to them; you shall certainly bring them back to your countryman.
"And if your countryman is not near you, or if you do not know him, then you shall bring it home to your house, and it shall remain with you until your countryman looks for it; then you shall restore it to him.
Deuteronomy 22:1-2 (NASB77)

(O) Observation
The instruction in this part of this chapter is to take care of your neighbor. We cannot ignore our neighbors or their possessions. We have a responsibility to be observant and to help our neighbors even if it is inconvenient.

(A) Application
Today I am convicted about how little I know about my neighbors. We are cordial and friendly but do not really know each other. We will help when asked but is that really what this passage is about. I should take an interest in my neighbors and be ready to help. In our culture today we live such isolated lives. Neighborhoods hardly exist like they used to. Kids playing in each other's yards and eating at each house. Parents being parents to all gathered at the time. In our sub-division many walk during the spring, summer and fall. Often we will stop and talk and meet people. It can be a social event but is that really getting at the thought of this passage? Today I must re-evaluate my relationship with my neighbors. How can I impact them with the gospel? How can I show them the love I found in Christ? How can I be the neighbor God describes in this passage? Lots to work on today.

(P) Prayer
Lord, you know how I have failed in this. Help me to do what I should and give me opportunities to be the kind of neighbor you desire me to be. Amen

No comments: