Sunday, March 15, 2009

Life Journal 03-15-2009

Deceived

(S) Scripture
Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, this he will also reap.
Galatians 6:7 (NASB77)

(O) Observation
Evidently the Galatian believers thought they could live one way and believe another. That they would not reap the consequences of how they live. Paul makes it clear that you reap what you sow. Righteousness reaps righteousness and unrighteousness reaps unrighteousness.

(A) Application
I know many people who want to "sow their wild oats on Saturday and go to church on Sunday and pray for crop failure." Paul says that isn't the way it is. You reap what you sow. We cannot mock God by choosing to live on our own terms and then expecting Him to overlook our sin. Consequences come to all of us. When I sin as a Christian I still must suffer the consequences of that sin. It will not cause me to lose my salvation but it does break my fellowship with God and the sin has harmed some relationship that will need to be restored. That restoration is the consequence of my sin. Today I do not want to mock God by ignoring His direction in my life. I want to walk by faith in the power of the Holy Spirit and make a difference for Him.

(P) Prayer
Lord, thank you for forgiving me. Make me aware of my sin and the relationships that I need to work on restoring because of my sin. Teach me to forgive others as you forgive me. Today I want to walk by faith in the power of the Holy Spirit. Use me today. Amen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've spoken with individuals who mock this very verse stating, "if we always reap what we sow, then why do so many unbelievers seem to be doing so well?" What is important to remember is two things: (1) Our perception is not always reality. We may perceive that someone is doing great and in fact, internally, emotionally, relationally and spiritually, they may be falling apart. Thus, they are reaping the destructive results of their choices, values and decisions, even if it is not seen. (2) We also need to remember that the "reaping" may be delayed. Perhaps the eternal "reaping" may not ever been seen by earthly eyes. I've often wondered if this wasn't one of the points of the "Rich Man and Lazarus" text. The rich man appears to enjoy all of the benefits of his years, only to end up grossly disappointed and eternally destroyed. Well, time to go sewing.....a button just fell off my shirt! :) The old bud. PS Loved the Fireproof.