Saturday, March 21, 2009

Life Journal 03-21-2009

Seeking God's Counsel

(S) Scripture
So the men of Israel took some of their provisions, and did not ask for the counsel of the LORD.
Joshua 9:14 (NASB77)

(O) Observation
The kings of the people living in the land given by God to the Israelites come disguised as people from far off asking for a peace covenant. The leaders of the people agree and then it is revealed that they live in the land. A covenant is a covenant and so the Israelites abided by it. They were deceived because they did not seek God's counsel. They listened to their own counsel and messed up.

(A) Application
I must beware when people come asking for alliances with me or the church. Sometimes these are not what they claim and an alliance is not what God would want. I must take every request to the Lord for his counsel. I cannot rely only on my own judgment, I must trust the Lord. The book of James tells us,"But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all men generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him." James 1:5 (NASB77)

Today I will ask for God's counsel and not try to make decisions on my own. I will not rely on my own understandings, I will trust the Lord. I will not be bashful about asking for His counsel.

(P) Prayer
Lord, I confess that too often I think more of my judgment than is wise. Make me aware of my need to trust you and give me the grace to do just that. I do not want to be left to my own judgment. I want to know your will. Amen

p.s. I will not be blogging my devotion for the next week

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree. But my frustration at times is that I ask for God's council and then can't always decide if God is directing me or if I'm simply hearing myself thinking. Is this an indication of inferior spirituality on my part? Is it conceivable that at times we may seek God's direction and God's response is, "I'll give you the freedom to choose this one?" In other words, do you believe that God directs his counsel to us in all things and at all times including such things as, "Who should I marry?" "Where should I invest my money?" "Which house should we buy?" "Which job should I accept?" An interesting and provocative question from your bud. I'll miss the blog next week. Praying for your time away. Enjoy!