Sunday, November 4, 2012

Life Journal 11-04-2012

Discipline

(S) Scripture

Job 27:2-6 (NASB77) "As God lives, who has taken away my right, And the Almighty, who has embittered my soul,
For as long as life is in me, And the breath of God is in my nostrils,
My lips certainly will not speak unjustly, Nor will my tongue mutter deceit.
"Far be it from me that I should declare you right; Till I die I will not put away my integrity from me.
"I hold fast my righteousness and will not let it go. My heart does not reproach any of my days.

(O) Observation

As Job responds to his friends he reveals his faith and character. He will maintain his integrity and will hold fast to acting righteously. What a testimony. His has lost nearly everything and his friends are accusing his of all kinds of wrong and yet Job holds on to what he knows is right and just and Godly.

(A) Application

God disciplines us because He loves us and wants the best for us. Sometimes he uses our brothers and sisters to correct us. Sometimes he uses us to correct others. The trouble is that our tendency is to protect and defend ourselves in times of discipline, trouble and stress. We blame God for our circumstances. We ask God why he did this or that to us? At best we ask why he allowed something that he could have prevented. We fail to look for the big picture, what God is doing in us to prepare us for other things. Job's wife had encouraged him to "curse God and die." But Job held on to the truth of his faith. I want to do the same. In the face of accusation or even when I think that God has "embittered my soul," I want to hold to the truth of my faith and walk with Jesus.

It is not always easy but it is the only path to take if I want to continue to grow as a Christian. What do you do when a friend needs to be corrected and you risk being misunderstood but you integrity compels you to talk with the person. How do you approach a brother or sister with their sin? How do I receive the correction from others. I want to be as confident in my walk with the Lord as Job was in his. I want this passage to represent my life.

(P) Prayer

Lord, when I am being corrected let me listen and respond with truth and grace. When I must correct another let it be with redemptive words filled with grace. Let me never compromise your word in my life. I want to live for you. Amen

No comments: