Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Life Journal 11-07-2012

What To Do the Day After

(S) Scripture
Galatians 5:14 (NIV)
14  The entire law is summed up in a single command: "Love your neighbor as yourself."

(O) Observation
Paul uses the Great Commandment to remind the people that you show your love by serving one another. Paul has picked up on Jesus' teaching and again emphasizes that the whole law is fulfilled in the statement, "YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF." Here it is again and it is so simple and yet so profound. We are to love God and others.

(A) Application
It is the day after the presidential election. A quick glance at facebook showed some pretty nasty remarks concerning the outcome and directed at those who voted for President Obama and most of those comments came from Christians. As I read these verses this morning I was struck with how easy it is to forget Jesus' command. We get so caught up in the political that we miss the direct call of God in our lives. I live in a state that ended up in Obama's column. I did not vote that way but does that give me the right to be mean and nasty to my neighbors who did? No way, I am commanded to love my neighbors regardless of whether they agree with me politically or not. It is not just in politics though, it is also in our lives in church. I wonder why we make things so complicated. We get so caught up in the details of theology that we miss what we are called to accomplish. We argue over the method of baptism and Jesus says, "love each other". We fight over dress codes and Jesus says, "love each other." When will we get it right. The love Jesus is talking about isn't wishy-washy or gushy or dismissing of the truth. Rather it is tough and addresses sin, corrects bad behavior and compels me to love the people I disagree with. I am called to express this love by serving others. I cannot serve others in a Godly way if I have anger, bitterness or a grudge in my heart. Today I will focus on serving others as an expression of my love for God especially those who I disagree with politically.

What about you?

(P) Prayer
Lord, keep me focused on serving you by serving others to day. Help me to make this a habit and a daily expression of my faith in you. Amen

No comments: