Monday, November 19, 2012

Life Journal 11-19-2012

Temptation Comes

(S) Scripture
Matthew 4:1-11 (NASB77)
1  Then Jesus was led up by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil.
2  And after He had fasted forty days and forty nights, He then became hungry.
3  And the tempter came and said to Him, "If You are the Son of God, command that these stones become bread."
4  But He answered and said, "It is written, 'MAN SHALL NOT LIVE ON BREAD ALONE, BUT ON EVERY WORD THAT PROCEEDS OUT OF THE MOUTH OF GOD.'"
5  Then the devil * took Him into the holy city; and he had Him stand on the pinnacle of the temple,
6  and * said to Him, "If You are the Son of God throw Yourself down; for it is written,   'HE WILL GIVE HIS ANGELS CHARGE CONCERNING YOU'; and   'ON their HANDS THEY WILL BEAR YOU UP, LEST YOU STRIKE YOUR FOOT AGAINST A STONE.'"
7  Jesus said to him, "On the other hand, it is written, 'YOU SHALL NOT PUT THE LORD YOUR GOD TO THE TEST.'"
8  Again, the devil * took Him to a very high mountain, and * showed Him all the kingdoms of the world, and their glory;
9  and he said to Him, "All these things will I give You, if You fall down and worship me."
10  Then Jesus * said to him, "Be gone, Satan! For it is written, 'YOU SHALL WORSHIP THE LORD YOUR GOD, AND SERVE HIM ONLY.'"
11  Then the devil * left Him; and behold, angels came and began to minister to Him.

(O) Observation
Immediately after a spiritual high, his baptism, Jesus was led by the Spirit to the wilderness to be tempted by the Devil. I don't often think about God leading us to be tempted (I generally don't need His help J). But Jesus was led here and I think it was to show us how to deal with temptation when it comes. The Devil tempts Jesus in these areas: 1) His Authority, 2) His life and 3) His Mission. In each case the Devil used scripture as the basis for the temptation and each time Jesus uses scripture to resist and to show how the Devil had perverted or misused the scripture. Because Jesus knew the Word he was aware when it was being perverted.

(A) Application
I find the greatest temptations to come in the same areas of authority, life and mission. These are key areas in every person's life and if the Devil can get us off track there it puts our whole life out of sync with the Lord. If I am going to resist temptation I must do it the way Jesus did by relying on the Word of God and his power in my life. I cannot trust willpower or human resolve to resist, I simply am no match for the Devil. I must use the Word.
Therefore, I need to spend time in the Word each day, memorize some of it so I can quote it accurately and unperverted in the heat of temptation. I cannot expect to have my Bible with me each time I am tempted.

)Prayer
Lord God, help me to use your Word in my life to avoid giving in to the temptation the evil one brings my way. Help me to know you and your Word so well that I will recognize the Devil's misuse of it. Help me walk the straight path with you each day. Amen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pastor Robin, also note that one of the key tools Jesus used actually came before the temptation....his baptism. At his baptism, he was told (in one Gospel account) who he was..."You are my son...." I wonder if this word of affirmation didn't help him deal with temptation. Remember what God says to you every day: "Pastor Robin, you are my son! I love you and am genuinely pleased with you." When we understand our true identity, how could we go against it by settling for attitudes and behaviors that are "beneath" us. Jessie Jackson used to stand in front of student assemblies and say, "You are somebody! You are somebody!" God stands before us and says the same thing every day..."YOU are somebody. I am pleased." How could I intentionally sin and hurt a dad like that???? Have a blessed Thanksgiving celebration. So glad you're with us. "Bud"