Thursday, November 1, 2012

Life Journal 11-01-2012

Positions of Power

(S) Scripture
Mark 10:35-41 (NASB77)
35  And James and John, the two sons of Zebedee, * came up to Him, saying to Him, "Teacher, we want You to do for us whatever we ask of You."
36  And He said to them, "What do you want Me to do for you?"
37  And they said to Him, "Grant that we may sit in Your glory, one on Your right, and one on Your left."
38  But Jesus said to them, "You do not know what you are asking for. Are you able to drink the cup that I drink, or to be baptized with the baptism with which I am baptized?"
39  And they said to Him, "We are able." And Jesus said to them, "The cup that I drink you shall drink; and you shall be baptized with the baptism with which I am baptized.
40  "But to sit on My right or on My left, this is not Mine to give; but it is for those for whom it has been prepared."
41  And hearing this, the ten began to feel indignant with James and John.

(O) Observation
I am not sure of their motives but it seems that James and John wanted positions they thought would give them preference and power. Jesus questions them and then rebukes them by saying those places are not for him to give. Since the other disciples became indignant with them it is fairly obvious this was about power and not service.

(A) Application
Next week we will elect a president here in the USA. Have you ever wondered why someone would spend nearly $1,000,000,000 (a billion dollars) to get a job that pays $400,000? Or why would someone contribute large sums of money to a political campaign? I think it is for the same reason James and John wanted to have the seats next to Jesus; positions of power and privilege. Jesus reminds them that the call is to service and not to power and prestige. Sometimes it is easy for me to see my position as one of power and prestige (after all people come every week to hear me preach J). Left unchecked that can become a real ego inflator that can cause me to slide into thinking people should serve me. Power does crazy things to us and it need to be kept in check. Often people give us power we do not deserve and should not have. Today I want to be known for serving and not for self seeking positions of power. If Jesus came to seek and to serve I can do no less or different.

(P) Prayer
Lord, You know how easy it is for me to be attracted by power and prestige for the wrong reasons. Make Yourself so real to me that I become keenly aware of these pitfalls. You have called me to a life of service and that is how I want to live. Grant me the strength and courage to live out that calling. In Jesus Name, Amen

No comments: