Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Life Journal 10-31-2012

Halloween

(S) Scripture
Mark 7:26-30 (NASB77)
26  Now the woman was a Gentile, of the Syrophoenician race. And she kept asking Him to cast the demon out of her daughter.
27  And He was saying to her, "Let the children be satisfied first, for it is not good to take the children's bread and throw it to the dogs."
28  But she answered and * said to Him, "Yes, Lord, but even the dogs under the table feed on the children's crumbs."
29  And He said to her, "Because of this answer go your way; the demon has gone out of your daughter."
30  And going back to her home, she found the child lying on the bed, the demon having departed.    

(O) Observation
As I read this passage I see Jesus demonstrating three key elements of his life and ministry.
    1. His message and power was not exclusively for the Jews
    2. He was not afraid or anxious in the face of evil
    3. He could heal or command evil to flee from a distance.
It is a strange conversation and yet Jesus responds to the faith of the woman regardless of her race or gender. He heard her cry, saw her faith and answered her need.

(A) Application
I will admit that my thoughts today are somewhat tangent to the passage but here they are. In this passage Jesus deals with a parents cry for help in the face of a demon. Jesus is not afraid and neither should we be afraid. Today is Halloween. For years I have had Christians ask whether or not they should allow their children to celebrate or participate in Halloween. There is a fear that by participating they are somehow endorsing the "Devil's night." I know it is called the "Devil's night" but I don't think that we as Children of God should let him have it. I really do not think that God has said to the evil one, "OK, you can have that night, it's yours and I will not interfere." My theology just won't let me go there.

Certainly there are people who abuse this night as an excuse for evil and destructive behavior. There certainly are places and areas that are unsafe that we should avoid. Proverbs gives us this instruction:
5  Trust in the LORD with all your heart, And do not lean on your own understanding.
Proverbs 3:5 (NASB77) Note that it does not say that we should not use our understanding, it just takes a back seat to trusting God. So I will not get all worked up about Trick or Treat or teach that this is the "Devil's night." I will have some fun with the kids that come in costumes to the church tonight, play some games and yes get some candy. The God I serve is bigger than my fears and certainly does not give even one night to the evil one.

(P) Prayer
Lord, teach me to trust you more and not to take the counsel of my fears. Let me enjoy your presence every day and never to settle for giving one day away. Amen

No comments: