Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Life Journal 10-23-2012

How Will I Be Known

(S) Scripture
Acts 17:6-7 (NASB77)
6  And when they did not find them, they began dragging Jason and some brethren before the city authorities, shouting, "These men who have upset the world have come here also;
7  and Jason has welcomed them, and they all act contrary to the decrees of Caesar, saying that there is another king, Jesus."
Acts 18:24 (NASB77)
24  Now a certain Jew named Apollos, an Alexandrian by birth, an eloquent man, came to Ephesus; and he was mighty in the Scriptures.

(O) Observation
Here we have three men, Paul, Silas and Apollos. They were known as "men who have upset the world." The KJV says "turned the world upside down." My thought is that they turned the world right side up. They were also known as being "mighty in the Scriptures." Their impact on the places where they preached and taught came from a boldness that was fueled by the Holy Spirit and a knowledge of the Scriptures. They were unafraid of their surroundings even if it meant opposition, arrest or imprisonment.

(A) Application
Today I ask myself, "How will I be known?" Will I be known as being mighty in Scripture and setting the world around me right side up? Will I settle for less than full commitment to Jesus and His call in my life? These are sobering questions. In order to have an impact on my community I must develop these same kind of commitments and traits. I must read and study the scriptures and I must seek a boldness that comes through walking by faith in the power of the Holy Spirit. Today I commit myself to those pursuits.

(P) Prayer
Lord, grant me the strength and courage to be the person you have created me to be. Make yourself so real to me that I am unafraid of the world around me. Father, my desire is to be known as a man mighty in scripture and making a difference in my community for the kingdom. Today I also pray for my pastor friend, Mark Woodbury, and ask that you heal him from the cancer he has been diagnosed with. I pray for Mark and the church he serves. Give them strength and let them experience your presence and peace today. Amen

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pastor Crouch, would there be a time that I can personally meet with you? I'd appreciate it. Thanks

Robin said...

Eric, Give me a call and we sill set up a time. I am pleased to have the opportunity.