Monday, October 29, 2012

Life Journal 10-29-2012

Have You Lost Your Mind?

(S) Scripture
Mark 3:20-21 (NASB77)
20  And He * came home, and the multitude * gathered again, to such an extent that they could not even eat a meal.
21  And when His own people heard of
this, they went out to take custody of Him; for they were saying, "He has lost His senses."

(O) Observation
Jesus returns home after a time of teaching, casting out demons and healing crowds of people. He has also called the twelve to follow and he is preparing them to be sent out to preach. The crowds follow him home and press in on him to the point he cannot even eat a meal. When his family see and hear all this they don't understand and think he has lost his mind so they come to take him away. His family did not understand God's call in his life.

(A) Application
Often it seems that when people do follow God's call in their lives people think they have lost their minds. The challenge is to follow Jesus even though some might not understand. In 1970 when I joined the staff of Campus Crusade for Christ many thought I had lost my mind. As a college graduate I was moving to Oxford, Mississippi, going to make $250/month and have to raise that myself from people that would support my ministry. Some said I could have made that much without a college degree. It was God's call and I am compelled to follow. Again when we left WV to move to Michigan where it is cold and we did not know anyone, people thought we were a little crazy. But following God's call wherever it leads is not crazy. It might be tough but it is satisfying to your soul. I thank God today for the strength He gives to follow even when some think you have lost your mind. So if following Jesus' call in my life means that I have lost my mind, then call me crazy.

(P) Prayer
Lord, thank you for your faithfulness, strength, support and presence as we follow your call. I do not want to be anywhere but where you have called me to be. Amen

No comments: