Friday, October 12, 2012

Life Journal 10-12-2012

My Task As A Pastor

(S) Scripture
Nehemiah 8:8 (NASB77)
8  And they read from the book, from the law of God, translating to give the sense so that they understood the reading.

(O) Observation
Ezra has called all the people together for the reading of the Word. It is interesting that in verse 2 this call went out to men, women and "all who could listen with understanding." This reading captivated the people and one great task for Ezra and the men at his side was to translate the Word in order for understanding to happen.

(A) Application
I remember one of professor in a "ministry formations" class say that part of our call was to translate the gospel into the language people can understand. That is an incredible responsibility to have and the New Testament says that teachers will incur a greater judgment. I am also sure that it is the responsibility of every Christian to square everything they hear with scripture themselves but still the responsibility to translate the Word so that the people can understand is sobering. I take this responsibility seriously and today recommit myself to the study and preparation necessary for good, honest, God honoring explanations of the Word.

(P) Prayer
Lord the task is great and I need your help and guidance as I prepare and deliver the messages each week. Let me be so full of You that the translation is consistent and empowered by the Holy Spirit. Amen

No comments: