Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Life Journal 10-24-2012

Futility

(S) Scripture
Acts 19:13-15 (NASB77)
13  But also some of the Jewish exorcists, who went from place to place, attempted to name over those who had the evil spirits the name of the Lord Jesus, saying, "I adjure you by Jesus whom Paul preaches."
14  And seven sons of one Sceva, a Jewish chief priest, were doing this.
15  And the evil spirit answered and said to them, "I recognize Jesus, and I know about Paul, but who are you?"

(O) Observation
Because of the miraculous healing that was being done at the hand of Paul in the name of Jesus some others wanted to cash in. They were trying to imitate God's work without God's power. That to me is futility.

(A) Application
It is futile for me to attempt to do God's work without His power, too. As a pastor it is easy to let my personal walk with the Lord slip some because of all the other study and preparation I do in order to preach and teach. But if my personal discipleship is slipping then I am not preaching and teaching with God's power, I am only performing. Regardless of how polished the performance it is futile to do so apart from being empowered by the Holy Spirit. That power is a result of my personal walk with God that must be nurtured each day. That is one reason this life journal is so important. I cannot faithfully follow the Lord if I do not know His Word.

(P) Prayer
Father, I thank you for the reminder of how important my personal walk with you is. I want my life to make a difference and I want to make that difference for you and in your power. Keep me focused on You and use me today. Amen

No comments: