Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Life Journal 10-17-2012

With Wisdom and the Holy Spirit

(S) Scripture
Acts 6:10 (NASB77)
10  And yet they were unable to cope with the wisdom and the Spirit with which he was speaking.

(O) Observation
Stephen begins to preach and some leaders of a synagogue want to argue with him. Stephen spoke with wisdom and in the power of the Holy Spirit. Because they could not win the argument they brought false witnesses against him and he was arrested.

(A) Application
In the face of opposition or criticism I must be sure that I am speaking with wisdom and in the power of the Holy Spirit. That requires preparation and a moment to moment commitment to following Jesus. The scripture addresses the use of the tongue in many places. It is important that when I speak it be with the wisdom and power of God's Spirit. Too often I want to jump in with a quick pithy comment that most often does not move the conversation forward. Rather a wise and timely word, empowered by the Holy Spirit, would help to move things along. The end may not be what I want, I am sure that Stephen was not hoping to be arrested and yet in it all God was glorified. I want the outcome of my conversations to bring the same result, that God is glorified.

(P) Prayer
Lord teach me when to speak and when to remain silent. Let me speak with wisdom in the power of the Holy Spirit. Let my conversations bring glory to you. Amen

No comments: