Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Life Journal 10-16-2012

Making an Eternal Difference

(S) Scripture
Acts 5:38-39 (NASB77)
38  "And so in the present case, I say to you, stay away from these men and let them alone, for if this plan or action should be of men, it will be overthrown;
39  but if it is of God, you will not be able to overthrow them; or else you may even be found fighting against God."

(O) Observation
The disciples have been arrested again for preaching the gospel of Jesus. The religious leaders want to quiet them by force but Gamaliel advised them to stay away from this. The counsel he gave is in the scripture I chose for the day. "If this plan or action should be of men, it will be overthrown; but if it is of God, you will not be able to overthrow them; or else you may even be found fighting against God." The disciples after being flogged continued to teach and preach. The flogging was considered a sign to rejoice because it meant they were worthy to suffer for Jesus.

(A) Application
In our culture we very rarely consider suffering or punishment a reason to rejoice. Most often my suffering comes from my own selfishness and sin and that should not be confused with the suffering the disciples endured with joy. But what caught my attention today was Gamaliel's advice. "If this plan or action should be of men, it will be overthrown; but if it is of God, you will not be able to overthrow them; or else you may even be found fighting against God." As I look at all that I do in my life I must ask, "Is this from God and will it stand?" If I want to make an eternal difference in the lives of the people I meet then I must be about that which is from God and not just a great program someone has devised. In no way do I ever want to be fighting against God. I am afraid that sometimes we come dangerously close when we use slick "Wall Street" advertizing or allow pop culture to shape how I do ministry. Today I again make a commitment to do my best to be doing what God is blessing and not just asking God to bless what I am doing.

(P) Prayer
Lord my desire is to keep my focus on you and to do what you would have me to do. Amen

No comments: