Sunday, October 28, 2012

Life Journal 10-28-2012

The Sabbath

(S) Scripture
Mark 2:27 (NASB77)
27  And He was saying to them, "The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath.

(O) Observation
When challenged for his disciples picking grain on the Sabbath Jesus teaches the truth about it. The day of Rest was made for man's good not for God's.

(A) Application
The Sabbath is the subject of some controversy. Let me say that the Sabbath has always been the seventh day, Saturday. We celebrate the resurrection by gathering for worship on Sundays but that is not the Old Testament Sabbath. Does that mean the Sabbath is no longer valid. NO WAY!! That is what Jesus is teaching. The Sabbath, a day of rest and reflection dedicated to deepening our walk with God, was made for us. This day of rest is for our good and needs to be observed. I remember a professor saying, "If you are doing more than you can get done in six days you are doing more than God intended you to do." It is easy for me to let my life get crowded with stuff and this day gets neglected. As a pastor it is easy to let "church work" consume the week and my life to the point that I neglect a personal Sabbath. I can give all kinds of excuses and explanations but truth is I just let things crowd the week. I am thankful for the reminder that if Jesus need a Sabbath I certainly need one. Today I want to do better at investing a day each week in rest, reflection and deepening my walk with the Lord.

(P) Prayer
Lord, help me not to neglect my Sabbath. Help me to keep that time for you. Thank you for the reminder today. Amen

No comments: