Monday, October 22, 2012

Life Journal 10-22-2012

Gracekillers

(S) Scripture
Acts 15:1-2 (NASB77)
1 And some men came down from Judea and began teaching the brethren, "Unless you are circumcised according to the custom of Moses, you cannot be saved."
2  And when Paul and Barnabas had great dissension and debate with them, the brethren determined that Paul and Barnabas and certain others of them should go up to Jerusalem to the apostles and elders concerning this issue.

(O) Observation
As Paul continued to preach salvation by faith alone in Jesus to the Gentiles. Some Jews came and began to teach that the Gentiles must be circumcised in order to be Christians. Paul and Barnabas took exception to this teaching and it was then taken to the Jerusalem Council for resolution. Paul and Barnabas would not let the gracekillers have their way with the new converts.

(A) Application
In his book, "The Grace Awakening" Chuck Swindoll describes people who add unbiblical demands to following Jesus as "Gracekillers." Anytime we add some work or action to faith it really does kill grace. I often wonder if I put unbiblical demands on people making following Jesus more difficult for them. In our churches do we demand a certain kind of dress or hair length or language? I try to be aware each day of what may be gracekillers in my life or from me into the lives of others. It is sobering to take a look at what I think and what demands I put others for following Jesus. Today I commit again to identifying and laying aside the gracekillers I find in my life. I have been set free to follow Jesus and to do his will and I should never submit to legalism again.

(P) Prayer
Lord, make me keenly aware for the gracekillers I experience in my life and especially of the ones I direct at others. Let me learn and teach following you by grace through faith. Amen

No comments: